2018 – Best Fish tanks for beginner
- Keeping fish is fun, its both an art and a science. When preparing for your first aquarium, its important to pick a good fish tank as a beginner.
- A beautiful aquarium fishtank is relaxing to look at and enjoyable to maintain. The combination of green aquatic plants, decoration, stones and beautiful fish combine to create an amazing sight everybody will admire and love, picking a good fishtank is important for this feat.
- It doesn’t matter if you’re a fish tank beginner or fishtank veteran, picking the best fish tank is important. The fish tank is definitely the foundation of a building, the roots of the true, the most important part in any aquarium set up.
- In this article, I will explore the best fishtank options that we know of and also the top choices in the beginner categories. The types of accessories will be divided into different types of beginner filters, lights, heaters and substrates we will be placing into the fishtank.
THE BEST FISHTANK FOR BETTA FISH
The Marineland Contour Glass Aquarium kit contains all the functionalities required to start with a Betta fish tank and other smaller fish which don’t require too much space. The build in LED light adjusts for nighttime and daytime viewing, making this fishtank a beautiful display under all conditions.
Remember, when keeping Betta fish, the male species are aggressive due to territory. Its important to keep them in a tank alone to prevent fighting and death.
Although Betta fish are highly aggressive, this means they have no problems with being raised alone. The good thing about raising a fish alone is that you can use a relatively smaller tank and they will be fine. The dangers of using a relatively small fishtank is that larger fishtank have a higher volume to resist aquatic change. For example, if you change the water or some sort of impurity falls into the tank, a larger volume of water means a smaller amount of influence will be negatively passed onto your fish. If you decide to keep a smaller fish tank, many factors such as temperature and chemicals can easily cause a significant disruption to your fish.
Even when keeping a single Betta fish, we still strongly recommend keeping a larger tank so that it has a higher chance of survival. A larger fish tank also makes it much easier to install a filter.
The Marineland Contour Glass’ sleek design definitely helps it to stand out amongst the crowd. Its size makes it a perfect desktop tank, it is without a doubt a crowd favourite for Betta fish. This fish tank also comes with a power-saving LEd light fixture and a glass lid with a hinge to make feeding and cleaning a breeze. Quick and easy, perfect for a beginner’s fish tank.
This tank also draws similarities to the Marineland Potrait 5 gallon aquarium kit, offering two different sizing options with a slightly altered lighting system too. Both models serve as great options for betta fish, on Amazon, they both have a rating of 4.5 stars with a similar price.
- rounded glass corners, 3 gallons or 5 gallons, stealthily hidden 3 stage filtration system, dual option LED lights with 2 different wavelengths (blue and white), glass lid with hinge for easy feeding and cleaning, easily placed on a desk, very easy to attach a heating/cooling system too.
- Heater sold separately. Although the filter is effective and well hidden which means the fish tank is good looking, replacing and cleaning this may be a challenge because it is in a position which is hard to reach.
Best fish tank smaller than 10 gallons
A fish tank with a capacity less than 10 gallons is known as a “nano-tank”. Because of their small size, nano tanks are easy to maintain aesthetically (but not necessarily functionally). They are easy to move, you can place them in more places, you can change the water easily and you don’t need a large amount of substrate or aquatic plants or decoration. The only drawback about a smaller “nano tank” is that the water is very susceptible to environmental change. For this reason, it is recommended that you don’t keep too many fish in this tank.
Despite the drawbacks of a volatile environment, some aquarium hobbyists enjoy the challenge of maintaining a small but thriving ecosystem.
The Fluval Spec V 5-Gallon Aquarium kit is a great nano tank.
It has a very elegant modern design and is constructed with versatile etched glass. The filtration system is securely integrated into the fish tank and comes with a convenient 3-stage filtration system. Combined with the LED light fixture, this fish tank has everything you need to get started.
As a bonus, the Fluval Spec V 5-gallon aquarium kit comes with a whopping 37 LEDs. Yes, you did read that right, thirty seven individual LED lights to give you aquarium a mesmerizing glow.
The filtration system of this tank is triple action – with a foam block for mechanical filtration and activated charcoal for chemical filtration topped off with replaceable BioMax Bio rings for biological filtration. The trifecta of filtration power will ensure your fish will thrive in clean and filtered water.
The Fluval Spec V 5 gallon tank also has a 4.5 star rating on Amazon from more than 300 individual users. This tank’s biggest selling point is its sleep modern design and strength of the integrated filter. Some say the lighting of this tank could be stronger. Overall, this product receives excellent reviews.
Constructed from durable etched glass, aluminium body, hooded tank, LED light fixture, 3 stage filtration system, a trifecta of filtration power, its small nimble size allows it to conveniently fit onto most surfaces, its 5 gallon capacity allows it to hold small fish.
The ecosystem may be difficult to maintain due to its small size. All accessories sold separately.
Best medium sized 20 gallon fish tank
The tetra 20 gallon aquarium kit is another fish tank for beginners. Its rectangular shape is industry standard, providing right angles for easy placement and cleaning within any setting.
A typical beginner thought is that a smaller fish tank is easier to keep than a larger fish tank. This makes sense right? There is less water, which means there is less room for error right? If there is a problem, its easy to just replace all of the water in a smaller fish tank right? While this is true, the key to keeping your fish happy is minimizing stress. Every time you change the fish tank’s water there will inevitably be some degree of change. Whether its from a different room temperature, addition/removal of bacteria or change in amounts of chemicals, small fish tanks are far more prone to change than larger tanks.
A fishtank is a delicately closed ecosystem, any substantial changes in water chemistry can be extremely harmful and potentially fatal for your fish. A larger tank such as the Tetra 20 gallon aquarium tank provides a much greater volume of water which allows the waste products and toxins to be far more diluted, greatly reducing any negative impact they may have on your fish.
This fish tank also comes with all the accessories you may need to get started. With a mini heater and an energy efficient LED light fixture, several artificial plants are also included for you to customize your tank to your own preference, simply add your substrate and the fish and you’re ready to show off your set up to all your friends!
- color changing LEd lights. Change the lights to any color to fit the mood of the tank’s surroundings, blue for relaxation, green for nature, red for passion – whatever you feel is fitting for the mood.
- Large water volume makes it much safer to keep fish. Also allows you to keep more fish
- Comes with all the accessories you need to get started
- large size, although easy to maintain ecosystem, it may take more money and effort to get started with all the right equipment